Monday, April 8, 2024

Nothing But Blue Skies Do I See

 
by Pa Rock
Stargazer Geezer

Eclipse day is finally here and the skies over West Plains, Missouri, are delightfully clear and blue, but soon, of course, they will be black as darkness settles in.  But for the time being the skies are sunny and the day is beautiful!

Alexa has been telling me for several days that it would be "partly sunny" on Monday, but she was wrong, as she often is, because it is now Monday and it is "plenty sunny."    (I need to so some research and try to ascertain just what the difference is between "partly sunny" and "partly cloudy.")

I have company headed this way to view the big celestial event.   Ranger Bob and his lovely wife, Sandy, are driving over from Springfield.  I haven't seen them since Bob and I went on a big treasure hunt to McDonald County last November when I tried and failed to find the time capsule that I had buried sixty years ago.  Maybe we can give it another shot this fall after all of the tourists go home.

I live about a mile north of West Plains, and yesterday I drove into town to see all of the crowds who had supposedly shown up for the four-day eclipse "Party in the Path."   I diligently searched every part of town where I would expect crowds to be gathered - and came up with zilch.  There appeared to be fewer people in town than would have been there on a normal Sunday afternoon.  I heard later that some were at the fairgrounds where hot air balloons were putting on a show.  (I hadn't thought to check the fairgrounds, which are about a mile due west of my home.  Last night there were fireworks at the fairgrounds, but I was already in bed reading, so I just listened to the noise.)

One extraneous thought:  I wonder if some enterprising insurance salesman in Georgia thought to sell Marge Greene a rider on her homeowner's policy that would cover eclipses?  You can never have too much protection, Marge!

Darkness beckons!

No comments: