Monday, April 1, 2024

Neighbors, Start Your (Lawmower) Engines!

 
by Pa Rock
Old Man with a Mower

When I spoke with my friend Imogene on my birthday a little over a week ago, she declared, rather forcefully for her, that she refused to mow in March even though her yard was already in need of a good mow.  I opined that I would not mow in March either, and completely disregarded the fact that my yard, which some compare to a park during the summer months, was also already looking ragged.

Everyone knows that once you commit that first mowing, you have to keep it up, your life is chained to a ten-day-to-two-week schedule up until almost Thanksgiving.  So why start any earlier than is absolutely necessary?

Last year another friend provided me with an ecological excuse for waiting on the first mowing of the season.  She said that it was very important for the survival of the bee population to let the initial thrust of dandelion blooms come and go before beginning the summer mowing cycle.  I was out and about in the yard yesterday and noticed that the dandelions are in full bloom.  I did not see any bees, however I did spot one red wasp sitting on a dead lilac branch that I want desperately to prune.  (The excitement in my life never lets up!)

Although it is now officially April, I will stall a few more days before I back my big-assed riding mower with three blades and two cup holders out of the garage and begin the summer drudgery.  The dandelions will need a couple of more days before their beautiful blooms begin turning to seed, and it looks like it could rain today anyway.  I also have a doctor's appointment in Springfield today, the one that I had to cancel two weeks ago when I had a flat time just ten miles out of West Plains.  A trip to Springfield and back requires almost four hours on the road, not counting the time spent with the doctor.   

A complete mowing of my yard takes about ten hours.  It's a good thing that I am retired or I would not have time to enjoy the pleasures of old age, things like going to the doctor and mowing!

Take your thrills where you can find them, that's what I always say!

No comments: