Friday, August 4, 2023

This Is Humana Calling

 
by Pa Rock
Health Care Consumer

One of several insurance companies that I pay each month is an outfit called "Humana," a misnomer if ever there was one because I personally have no evidence that they have any humans in their employ.

Humana sends me the occasional odd email in which they strongly suggest that I would save money by getting all of my medicines from them and delivered by mail.  It would save me money and time.  Yeah, right.

It would save them money.

I currently get my meds at the local drugstore, and because payment for those drugs involves two separate insurance companies, only one of which is Humana, I often have to go to the local store to assist the new employees in getting my bill straight - which normally ends up being zero.  I wonder how aggravating that would be if I was having to try and contact Humana - or any other national carrier - each month to get my bill sorted?  I suspect it would be a nightmare or a permanent repeat cycle.

No thank you, Humana.  I choose instead to keep my current set of complications because I know how to handle those.

In addition to emails, Humana also telephones occasionally.  I have received two phone calls from them over the past couple of weeks, and I feel that I have no choice but to hang up.  You see, Humana doesn't make real telephone calls, and instead I get those automated, punch-a-number affairs that give me the privilege of trying to communicate with a machine.  I don't do automated calls, Humana, for you or anyone else.   If you need to speak with me, have a real, live, human being make the call.

And, for the record, I don't do texts either.  I find that annoying little ping to be an unwarranted invasion of my privacy.  If any company feels the need to make me salivate for their product, send a nice letter or have a human dial my number.  The only autonomic response that a text ping will generate from me is an obscene hand gesture.

I guess I'm just getting old.  Back in the day that sale of goods usually involved two parties - and they were both human.    Now humans are literally becoming obsolete and in another generation or two they will serve no purpose whatsoever.

I really hate it that I am going to miss that!

2 comments:

Xobekim said...

I also have Humana. I use their postal pharmacy for medications I take for long periods of time. I do not use them for short term medication, such as the narcotics I picked up for use after the upcoming total knee surgery. I want to get the medications I need quickly from a local source.

Humana is a bit annoying with their incessant requests to put all medications on automatic refill status. I ignore those as the parent of a toddler ignores the child in the check out line at the grocery store.

Text me all you want. If I don't know you, I'll delete. Not a problem!

Busplunge said...

I used to go through the same thing with Cox Essence.
I would get phone calls, usually when I am in the truck wanting to discuss my medicines.
I would tell the call I don't know but I take a red one, a capsule or two, a blue diamond shaped pill and some other smaller ones.
She wasn't happy so i said callmydoctor,he's the one who prescribes them.
One time they called and said Ididn't need to take a certain medicine. Again I said, call my doctor.

Now I don't answer any phone calls Idon't recognize the number.

I thoguht I was the only old curmudgeon in town!