Sunday, August 20, 2023

Phoenix Comes Calling

 
by Pa Rock
Appreciator of Conditioned Air

It was just this past Wednesday, a mere four days ago, when I was bragging about the mild temperatures that were visiting themselves upon the Ozarks - and how nice it was to be experiencing autumn in August.  But I also tempered those remarks with an acknowledgment that summer was certain to revisit the area before autumn arrived for good.

And I was right.  Summer has returned, and it is back with a vengeance!  

Yesterday the high temperature was in the low nineties, and I went out just before dark and carefully watered the outdoor potted plants, rose bushes, and young trees.  Today the temps were supposed to reach into the high nineties, and we had been placed under an "extended heat warning from today until Thursday night at 10:00 p.m.  But when I crawled out of bed this morning, before daylight, Alexa had already changed her tune with regard to the forecast.  Now she was saying that the high temperature where I live will be 105 degrees F. today, and the extended heat warning is still in effect.  

One hundred and five is Phoenix hot!   But I know how to handle it.  Rosie and I will be sitting in the air-conditioning today, and we won't worry about how to pay the electric bill until next month.

One crisis at a time, that's my motto!

Stay hydrated, wear that hat when you are outside, and remember to provide plenty of water for our friends who live out-of-doors and don't have access to conditioned air and water on tap!  


No comments: