Saturday, July 15, 2023

Oregon Adventures for the Whole Family

 
by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

My sister and I arrived in Portland, Oregon, Wednesday morning, rented a car, and drove down to Salem early that afternoon.   We both drive Kia Souls, so that is also the type of car we rented.  The rental is apparently a 2023 and has more warning buzzers than I am used to - and definitely more than I like.  We are also each carrying cell phones, and we have automatic sensors attached to our bodies which tell us when our blood sugars are too high or too low - so something is always beeping or buzzing - and I work hard at ignoring the whole cacophony of crap!

Thursday Grandson Sebastian took us to a bookstore in downtown Salem to show off his driving skills.  He appears to be cautious and alert when he is behind the wheel.  Gas here is just under five dollars a gallon - I blame Trump - and I understand that it cost him $52 dollars to fill his car, which is primarily an economy vehicle.

Yesterday we went with my daughter, Molly, and the two younger children, Judah and Willow, to an "adventure" center which is an indoor facility with lots of equipment for the kids to play on.  Adults can enter free and sit at tables just outside of the play area where they can enjoy food and beverages for sale in the facility.  Interestingly, there is a fully stocked wet bar for the adults as well!  There were also signs referencing "adult" shows in the evenings.  It is obviously a "fun center" for the whole family.  On the plus side, the kids had fun, and I didn't see anyone drinking while we were there.

Judah's school is year-round, so he has had a busy summer.  Willow is attending what appears to be a very comprehensive fine arts summer school and seems to be enjoying that.  She told me that she is studying dance, acting, and songwriting at the summer school program.

While we were driving across town yesterday I did spot what I believed was a witch's house, and my sister said, "Well, this is Salem, after all."

Salem, like the much larger Portland, Oregon, traditionally has had a serious homelessness problem, but this trip I had not seen any homeless individuals - until yesterday, that is - when I was looking out of my hotel room window and saw a fellow walking into a secluded highway underpass just behind the hotel. I know a couple of communities in Missouri where homelessness is not a problem as long as the unfortunates and downtrodden stay hidden.

It's a beautiful,  cloudless sky today and we are headed to the beach where several of our group will splash in the Pacific and at least one fuddy-duddy will sit in the shade and read.

(Cousin Joyce, thank you so much for "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles.  I am truly enjoying it!)

(To the good people of northwest Kansas - and especially to our friends and relatives who weathered the awful storms last night, we are thinking of you.  Stay safe!)

No comments: