Monday, June 7, 2021

The Long Walk West!

 
by Pa Rock
Careful Consumer

Two years ago I started a special savings account to buy a car, not a new one, but something considerably newer than my current 2005 Saturn Vue.  (I don’t buy “new” - except for once nearly fifty years ago when I was able to pick up a new 1976 Chevy Chevette (remember those?) for $2,700!
 
Yesterday afternoon, being Sunday when all of the local car lots were closed and chances were relatively good of not being attacked by a hungry salesman who works on commission, I took a tour to see what was available.  I’m looking for something big and roomy to accommodate my sister and I on a trip we are taking to Oregon next month.  At one lot I saw a “Denali” that might have fit the bill, but its bill was just north of $80,000.  (I live in an area where you can still buy a decent home for $80,000 – so I moved on to the next lot.)

I heard on the news that there is a severe shortage of computer chips for new cars, and consequently people are having to hang onto their old cars longer - a situation which has driven up the price of the used cars that are on the market.
 
After much snooping, I finally came to the realization that my car budget would cover something about the same age and size as the Saturn that I already have.  It’s a dependable vehicle that has been to Oregon before – and Arizona – and the person who owned it before me even drove it to Alaska and back.  And my older, dependable automobile only has 206,000. miles on the odometer.
 
So I may drive my old car instead.  

Today I am in Kansas City - thanks to my dependable older vehicle.   I will look at some cars while I am here, but I’m not expecting any surprising finds.  206,000 miles isn’t prohibitive.  The old car, like its owner, is beginning to look a little ragged around the edges, but I think that it and I are both up for a few more road trips, so I will probably hang onto it as long as the radio, heater, and air-conditioning keep working.
 
Lots of people made it all the way from Missouri to Oregon in covered wagons and on foot during the 19th century, so I guess if we have to we can always get out and walk.  I will advise my sister to bring along at least one pair of comfortable walking shoes!


No comments: