Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Newsmax Magazine: Perfect for the Port-a-Potty


by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

It must be because I live on a county road in a rural part of a conservative state, but right-wing publications seem to think that I am a potential subscriber.  Last month I mentioned in this space that I had just received my third or fourth free issue of "The Epoch Times," a fascist rag calling itself a "newspaper."  I went through it page-by-page and found very little in the way of factual reporting - if anything - and I certainly did not even consider subscribing.   But I know that a month or two down the road I will get another free copy because I fit the particular demographic that the publishers are seeking - a cranky, old white man living out in the woods.

Yesterday I received a sampler of the "Newsmax" magazine, another periodical that seems to be seeking out angry backwoods conservatives.    It had my name and address on the mailing label, so someone is providing my personal information to the publishers, but a quick perusal revealed that it represents conservative extremism at its worst - and clearly is not something that I would spend money on.  The sampler had twelve pages including the front and back covers, and all but three had photos and derogatory stories about the Bidens.  There was not even a pretense of even-handed political reporting, and no claims of being "fair and balanced."

As far as I know, this was my first mailing from "Newsmax," and I have not accessed them on social media, although I have been aware of their presence in the "news" universe because my GOP congressman, Jason Smith, brags incessantly in his weekly newsletter about being interviewed on "Fox" and "Newsmax," so I already had a strong inkling that it did not have much in the way of actual news credibility.  After leafing through the sample copy, I determined that it might be more suitable for the reading stack in a port-a-potty than someplace out in polite society.

But the sun, she shines, and the junk mail keeps coming - and every dime that these right-wing-nut-job publications spend in trying to recruit me onto their subscriber lists is one less dime that they have to use in subverting democracy.

So Pa Rock is doing his part to keep America free and sane - ten cents at a time!

No comments: