Friday, May 25, 2018

Migrating Computers

by Pa Rock
Frustrated Typist

This is my second trip into town today to visit our public library.  It's a very nice library.

The reason that I am at the library is because I bought a new computer, and right now my old computer and my new one are busy migrating information and files.  As I started the process late yesterday, I received a notice that it would take about twenty-seven hours to complete.  That is astonishing because I don't have that much stuff stored on the computer - or at least I didn't think that I did.  There are a few thousand photographs, however, and I am guessing that is what's eating up all of the time.  Someday I am going to move them all to a flash drive - and then drop it in the creek.

I was forced into buying a new computer because I wanted to purchase some new genealogy software, and my old machine, a six-year-old Apple Air Book which looks identical to my new machine, did not have enough room to accommodate the new program.  Also, the "down" key on the old Apple Air Book came off months ago, and I had been scrolling down by pressing the plastic stub that was beneath the key - a somewhat painful maneuver.  Recently, however, that quit working as well, and I was having to scroll down by clicking the mouse pad while dragging a finger down - and sometimes that would not even work.  I felt like I was gradually slipping into a prehistoric lifestyle.

This morning I came to the library, the very nice library, and tried my luck with their computers.  I quickly learned that I could not access my "blogspot" account because it would not accept my Google password.  I left the library feeling frustrated with my rotten computer luck (or skill) and went home where I spent a couple of hours removing large rocks (seven, in total) from a portion of my yard by swinging a pick-axe over and over and over.  That manual labor triggered the firing of a few synapses in my moldy old brain, and suddenly my correct Google password revealed itself.

So here I am back at the library, the very nice library.  Even with my rather complicated password, Google was not happy - because I was on a different computer than the one I normally use.  The company insisted on sending me a text with a response that I had to click.  Not being a textpert, I dreaded involving my phone in this ordeal, but after a couple of failures in finding their text, it finally appeared and I was able to respond correctly.

So here I sit typing away, while two computers at my house chug merrily along migrating files.  They still have about five hours to go.

Ain't life grand!

Did I mention that West Plains has a very nice library?  The small city also has a modern hospital and medical community, a branch of a four-year university that is so complete that students can take all of their undergraduate coursework right here - without leaving town, a better-than-average public school system, an active and useful senior citizens' center, and four Casey's.

This place would be perfect - if it weren't for all of the danged rocks!

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Boone should be grateful for his grandfather.

My grandsons would have had to bust & haul those rocks as I supervised and pondered the mysteries of arcane passwords; which apparently almost every eighth grader can hack without even using their thumbs.

Boone should be very grateful.