Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Big Bad Galahad

by Pa Rock
Farmer in Spring

Rock's Roost, my little ten acres of paradise in southern Missouri is actually my second attempt as setting up a secluded retreat where I could enjoy solitude laced with the wonders of nature.  The first Rock's Roost was a smaller farm on a hillside in McDonald County, Missouri.  Both versions were home to dogs, chickens, guineas, and a goose or two.  The little farm in McDonald County also had several goats, some pot-bellied pigs, a few emus, and a large ostrich.

Normally I have had good experiences in managing and caring for the farm animals.  Predators ocasionally kill some of the livestock, particularly chickens, but, by and large, most of my experience in raising domesticated farm animals has been successful.  I have given shots, slung feed, broken ice in water bowls, cleaned nesting boxes, shoveled out coops, and even delivered a few baby goats.  My dealings with the farm animals have generally been successful with both them and me taking care to respect each other and resolve conflicts amicably.

However, there have been a couple of rough patches along the way.  The ostrich at the first Rock's Roost decided one day that he was the dominant presence on the farm, and that he was also in charge of the farmer.  He surprised me quite unexpectedly by raising his large two-toed foot to my chest and ripping my shirt off with one swift strike.  Fortunately, he did not snag any skin in that quick maneuver.  From that day on when I faced him I had a garbage pail lid in-hand which I carried and used like a Roman shield.

Now I have a peacock who also feels like everything of the farm, including the farmer, should kneel before him.  I released the peacocks last fall hoping they would adapt to being free on the farm, and for the most part that worked fine.  The birds worked the yard during the day and roosted in the trees at night.  But this one male started becoming aggressive as spring approached, and when I entered what he regarded as his territory, the big bird would lunge at me with his clawed feet in an attack position.  Eventually he began chasing me, a habit that led to his downfall when he chased me into the aviary one day and I quickly got out and locked him in.  Now he and one peahen live in captivity, while the other peacock and two peahens still roam the farm at will.

I named the caged peacock "Galahad" because the name rhymed with "bad" and I felt a limerick coming on.  He was initially fine in his resumed imprisonment - the aviary is large and opens into a big barn - but lately he has taken to raging in there whenever I am around.  A couple of days ago I took two plastic jugs of water into the barn to fill the water bowls, but before I could complete that task, Galahad rushed in and flew at me.  He managed to slice open both water jugs with his spurs, but I made an escape.  Now, whenever I have to enter the barn or the aviary, I take along my trusty Roman shield.

Galahad is a cunning opponent.  When I am in his domain he constantly circles trying to get behind me, or he leaps to a high perch so that he can plan an airborne assault.  He and I are both determined to prevail as the boss of the farm.

I am hopeful that Galahad's insurgency is hormone based and that he will calm down once mating season is over - but, should he continue his wicked, wicked ways, he may find a new home - on a holiday platter!

I hope it doesn't come to that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pa,

I have a rooster that is about 12 years old and he still tries to attack me whenever our paths meet. He's been doing this since he was about three years old. Good luck with Galahad mellowing out. It may be wishful thinking, but what's wrong with that?

- AlbanyDave