Sunday, November 17, 2013

Scottsdale Movies

by Pa Rock
Film Fan

I learned several years ago that the West Valley of Phoenix lacks the sophistication to see certain films - and anyone who thinks they have the necessary refinement to appreciate those movies must travel to Scottsdale in order to do so.  Most of those movies are only shown at one theatre - the Camelview 5 - a classy little movie house that is within spitting distance of Nordstroms.  The location oozes with exclusivity.

Over the past couple of years I have had to drive to Scottsdale - a distance of over thirty city miles - in order to see Slumdog Millionaire, Milk, and Killer Joe.    Obviously us sandbillies in the West Valley would have been bored or bewildered with movies like those.  I also anticipated driving to Scottsdale to see Mud, but at the last minute it was shown in one theatre on my side of town.

Interestingly, Killer Joe, which was too sophisticated for the West Valley, has made its way into the discount movie racks in many of our local quick stops.   It was too good for our big screens, but perfect for cut-rate DVD sales.

Now I would like to see Dallas Buyers' Club, and of course it is only showing on one screen - at the Camelview 5 in Scottsdale.   I've heard that it's a very good movie, but the fact that it is only playing in Scottsdale tells me that it's way out of my league.  I probably wouldn't understand a word of it!

Other movies playing at the Camelview 5 include The Book Thief, Blue Is the Warmest Color, and Kill Your Darlings.  Predictably, none of those are currently playing in the West Valley.  I guess I will have to wait to see them when they land in the discount racks at Circle K.

No comments: