Saturday, November 8, 2008

Out and About in Arizona

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist


I live on the western edge of the Valley of Hell in an area commonly known as Palm Valley, aptly named for all of the forty-foot tall palm trees that line the main thoroughfares. The beautiful palms are evenly spaced and obviously didn't just spring up that way. Ever since I've lived here there has been one tall palm tree that was missing its fronds - just a tall, headless trunk taking up a space on an avenue of tropical giants.

This morning I was driving to the Air Force Base to catch up on a few things when I saw a crane looming over the sidewalk. The headless palm had been pulled up, and the large crane was setting another in its place. So, now I know how full-grown palm trees are transplanted. It's not a job for amateurs!

Bob was waiting for me as I pulled into the parking lot at work. Bob is a sleek black grackle who recognizes my car and swoops into the lot every morning when he sees me arrive. It doesn't make any difference where I park - Bob is always close behind. I toss crumbs from my breakfast sandwich out the window, and we both enjoy a good meal before I amble in to work. Occasionally a chickadee will rush out from under my car and challenge Bob for a particularly good morsel. The chickadee's name is also Bob. Small world! Sometimes Bob (the grackle) joins me at the Sonic a few blocks away for lunch. My friends at work have noticed Bob hanging around my car during the workday, and he also holds court in one of the mesquite trees outside of our building - and whistles every time I walk by. It's good to have friends!

After leaving the office I drove to the old town section of Glendale and walked through several of their fancy junk stores. They are called "antique" stores, and a few are, but most are high-toned flea markets. Many were already playing Christmas music trying to entice holiday buying, and one had a delicious pastry and cookie buffet set out for their shoppers. I did six or eight stores before getting bored and moving on down the road.

Since I was already halfway across town, I angled right and headed for El Pollo Loco to stock up on some crazy chicken. They currently have an eleven-piece dark meat special that is truly mouth-watering! Somehow I made it home without getting my fingers greasy!

Feed a bird - eat a bird! How's that as a metaphor for life?

No comments: