Sunday, November 2, 2008

Arizona Sizzle Starts to Fizzle

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist


The heat, the unbearable essence that is Arizona, has finally started to waver in its intensity. Oh, daily highs are still in the nineties, but it has only been a few weeks ago that 110 degrees was the norm. Now, especially at night, the air is carefully edging toward what I would call "delightful."

Last night I had to drive across Phoenix. My windows were down, the radio was playing some very good jazz, and life was a breeze. I had business at the beautiful Arizona Grand Hotel, a place that caters to high-end business travelers and the moneyed scions of Arizona. I marched into the lobby wearing my Obama tee-shirt with the self-assurance of one who couldn't be intimidated by blue-haired crustaceans with money. But there were no raised eyebrows. Everyone was just chilling and enjoying the fine Arizona night.

Today I barbecued. Cooking for one is usually a waste, but when I barbecue my rule is to overdo it and then make my meals around the bounty for the rest of the week. Again, the weather was beautiful. I set out in our covered outdoor patio with built-in grills, cooked for most of the afternoon, and read from one of my many good books. The weather, once again, was wonderful!

If everyday in Arizona could be like today, I would unpack and plan on staying awhile!

No comments: