Monday, April 29, 2024

The Sun, She Shines, at Least in Kansas!

 
by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

Rosie and I are back at the home of the Macys of Roeland Park, Kansas, after an absence of a couple of months.   We are in town to see a production of "Little Shop of Horrors" at the KC Rep with Tim and Erin and the kids tomorrow night.  I've seen the movie multiple times, and the extremely funny material should translate well to a live stage production.

"Feed me, Seymour!"

The drive to the Kansas City area was relatively quick today - I must have gotten behind faster pace cars than I normally do.  We didn't encounter much worthy of comment on the drive up - one dead deer and one dead black cow along the roadway.  One very large SUV roared past us, and I saw a sign on its door the said "FREEDOM" in big letters and then something below that I couldn't read in smaller print - and it had a plain "Trump" sticker on the back bumper.   It's been quite a while since I've seen a "Trump / Pence" bumper sticker or a yard sign.  A couple of months ago, somewhere down around Mountain Home, Arkansas, I saw a 'Trump" bumper sticker on a truck and could tell that the "Pence" part had been cut off.  Waste not, want not!

Today, a few miles south of Clinton, Missouri, I came upon and passed an old pickup truck with a camper shell.  The back window of the camper shell had been hand-painted in white lettering with three messages:  "Love My Country," "Read Your History," and "Fear the Govt!"  I stared into the vehicle's cab as I passed to gain a full appreciation of the messenger.   He was an old man, about my age, with long, stringy hair and wearing sunglasses.  He looked as though he might have good reason to fear the government!

Tim and Erin's neighbors have a large sign attached to the front of his house that says "Veterans Against Trump."  I know that he is a former marine, and their son is a current member of the US Marine Corps.  

I'm thinking about getting a bumper sticker to promote a poignant message on my drive west at the end of June, but haven't found one yet that is important - yet won't cause me to disappear along some North Dakota backroad. Suggestions are being solicited with his blog-posting.

It is a beautiful day in the Kansas City suburbs of Kansas, blue skies, trees already heavy with leaves of green, and yards that are lush and green.  It's been raining for several days, but today this area is catching a break - and hopefully will tomorrow as well.  We had been having a very dry spring in southern Missouri, but it began raining last Thursday and has been coming down fairly steadily for the last four days, with more rain expected this week!   Next weekend should be a busy one for me and the monster mower!

But for today I am just going to kick back and enjoy watching other people's grass grow - and occasionally smile at the neighbor's sign!

Semper Fi!

No comments: