Sunday, March 3, 2024

A Nomination for Our Next National Anthem

 
by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

I came across a historical blurb on the internet this morning stating that "The Star-Spangled Banner" became our official national anthem on this date in 1931 as the result of a resolution passed by Congress and signed into law by President Herbert Hoover.  That means that seven years from now it will have been our official national song for a full century. 

Perhaps now might be an appropriate time to consider an upgrade - and that is something that I do not propose lightly.  The current anthem is a description of the "defense of Fort McHenry" (aka the British bombardment of Baltimore) during the War of 1812.  It was, as many of us learned in elementary school, penned by Francis Scott Key on the morning following the battle when he saw the American flag still flying. 

Francis Scott Key not only wrote the words to what would become our national anthem, he also paired them to the tune of an old British drinking song called "To Anacreon in Heaven," a song that was popular in the men's social clubs of London in the 1700's.  (So while the words were a counterpunch to British military might, the tune paid homage to British life and culture.)   It is the same tune (?) that is still in use with the song today.

A variety of songs had been used to show American patriotism before the "Star-Spangled Banner" became officially enshrined as our national anthem, and some were much more pleasant to the ear and easier to sing.  One often cited is "My Country Tis of Thee" which was written by Samuel Francis Smith in 1832, just twenty years after Key penned his poem and song.  We've all heard it, and we all can sing it.  Here is the opening chorus:

"My country, 'tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty, 
of thee I sing:
land where my fathers died,
land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountain side
let freedom ring!"

And there are plenty of other patriotic songs that could inspire Americans to stand and cheer and sing.  My personal favorite, and the one I would nominate as a replacement to our current less-than-riveting national anthem is "This Land Is Your Land" by American musician, singer, poet, and  patriot, Woody Guthrie.  Guthrie wrote his iconic, people-based vision of America in 1940 as a response to Irving Berlin's religiously-laced offering, "God Bless America."

Here is America as seen through the unflinching eyes of Woody Guthrie.  I'm smiling and singing along  as I type!

This Land is Your Land
by Woody Guthrie

This land is your land, and this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I went walking that ribbon of highway
And I saw above me that endless skyway
I saw below me that golden valley
This land was made for you and me

I've roamed and rambled, and I've followed my footsteps
To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts
All around me, a voice was sounding
This land was made for you and me

There was a big, high wall there that tried to stop me
A sign painted said "Private Property"
But on the backside, it didn't say nothing
This land was made for you and me

When the sun come shining, then I was strolling
And the wheat fields waving, and the dust clouds rolling
The voice was chanting as the fog was lifting
This land was made for you and me

This land is your land, and this land is my land
From California to the New York island
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters
This land was made for you and me

No comments: