Friday, February 25, 2022

Winter's Crust

 
by Pa Rock
Feeder of Birds

We were supposed to get an ice storm this past Wednesday evening.  It was cloudy and cool that morning, but nothing ominous, so after I finished the blog and filled the bird feeders, I headed into town to do battle with the pharmacy and shop for a few groceries.  I walked into the grocery store right at noon and spent about twenty minutes strolling the aisles and filling my cart, all the while never giving a thought to the weather.

But when I emerged from the warm store twenty minutes later I was surprised to find that a fairly furious ice storm had descended upon West Plains, and the parking lot - and roads - were already getting slick!  

Ice fell off-and-on the rest of the day, during the night, and through much of Thursday.  Today the ground had a thick crust of hard white that is uninviting to both foot and vehicle traffic.  I have a small patch of jonquils on the south side of the house that are always the first flowers to bloom at The Roost - and they began blooming several days ago - and now they are icy blobs of yellow among the lonesome white.

Winter blows on!

No comments: