Monday, January 17, 2022

Monday's Poetry: "Freedom"

 
by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

Today is Dr, Martin Luther King Day, a federal holiday, and a day set aside to honor the memory of an eloquent Georgia preacher who led a nation and the world to an awareness of how race plays out across the social, political, and economic landscapes of the land - and how it impacts the lives of all of us.  Dr. King fought to bring an end to the ravages of segregation and racism, and to make life better and more just for everyone.  

Today, in memory of Dr. King's lifelong struggle to expose and eradicate racism, a history of which some insecure Americans are struggling to keep from being taught in our public schools, I am posting a short poem by Joplin, Missouri, native, Langston Hughes, entitled "Freedom."   Hughes, who like Dr. King, also devoted his life to stamping out the evils of bigotry and racism, but while King relied on peaceful protest to carry his message, Hughes put his efforts into enlightening others through his writing and poetry.  

Langston Hughes was a mainstay of the "Harlem Renaissance" of the 1920's, an era that produced some of America's most renowned writers, artists, dancers, singers, and musicians.

Children who are denied the opportunity to learn about great Americans like Dr. Martin Luther King and Langston Hughes - and the cultural wonderment of the "Harlem Renaissance" - are being denied the full glory of an education.   And those who are raised in ignorance will likely go on to live in ignorance and never experience the blessings of real freedom.


Freedom
by Langston Hughes

Freedom will not come
Today, this year
            Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.
 
I have as much right
As the other fellow has
            To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.
 
I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I’m dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow’s bread.
            Freedom
            Is a strong seed
            Planted
            In a great need.
            I live here, too.
            I want my freedom
            Just as you.   

No comments: