Monday, April 26, 2021

Giving 'The Roost' a Rise and Shine

 
by Pa Rock
Farmer in Spring

Today and for the next few days this space is likely to be more focused on family issues and farm matters than it is on the social and political struggles that are currently raging across the American landscape.  My kids are all headed to The Roost for a visit, and it will be the first time that they have all been together since 2014.  They will be here on Wednesday, and we will have an afternoon and evening of loud chatter and catching up, and then early the following morning, some of us will head out on an epic road trip.

Yesterday I spent four hours on the lawn mower trying to make the little farm look its best for our visitors, and today, after a trip to a doctor's appointment in Springfield, a destination one hundred miles away, I will run back to the farm and mow some more.  Tomorrow I will be focused on cleaning and putting the house in order, and Wednesday, before everyone arrives, I will be gathering supplies for the trip, packing, and figuring out where everyone is going to sleep Wednesday night.  In addition to my three grown kids, three of my six grandchildren will also be here!

Rosie will be going nuts!

So even though it is still dark this morning, I am headed outside to place the week's trash next to the roadside for pickup, then I will feed the cats, take Rosie outside for her constitutional, and hit the showers.  I will be on the road not long after daylight - and be at my doctor's office by about the time most decent people are just settling down to their first cup of morning coffee.

The Roost is fixing to rise and shine - whether it's ready to or not!

No comments: