Wednesday, September 25, 2024

An Early Autumn Drive in Arkansas

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

Yesterday I traveled across northwestern Arkansas to visit my sister in Rogers.  Abigail had surgery last week and is starting to resume her old routines and getting out and about.   We visited in her senior apartment and then went to lunch at Cracker Barrel, a favorite haunt of old farts.  

Rogers, and in particular the part of the city where my sister lives, was hit by a devastating tornado last spring, and this was my first trip over that way since the big weather event.  There are still trees down, and, in fact, three young men were taking a storm damaged tree out of the neighbor's yard while I was there.  Much of the damage has been cleaned up and fixed, but there are still plenty of signs around attesting to the power of that storm.

Rosie stayed home.  She doesn't enjoy traveling as much as she used to, and she doesn't like for me to travel either.  But she is always happy to see me when I return.

I had the"Golden Pan-Fried Pork Chops" at Cracker Barrel, which were, in reality, two boneless pork steaks, but good, nonetheless, with sides of hash brown casserole, a comfort food with heavy salt, and "fried apples" which were actually baked.  My sister, who is on some dietary restrictions because of the surgery, had a hamburger steak along with green beans and applesauce.  She cut up about half of her hamburger steak into fine bits and sent them home to Rosie, which will be part of Rosie's lunch today.  Thanks, Aunt Gail!

Abigail and I had a nice visit.  I didn't see anything of interest along the way - not even so much as a bumper sticker or a political yard sign.  I did notice that many of the motels in Eureka Springs, the gayest town in Arkansas, seem to have changed their names since the last time I drove through that picturesque hill  town.  

I was going to put one of my new Harris-Walz bumper stickers on the Kia prior to the drive over to Rogers, (four hours each way), but decided at the last minute not to.  The route goes through Harrison, Arkansas, lengthways, a community that has very recently displayed billboards promoting "White Power Radio" and "Klan Television."    Things are hopefully improving there because I didn't see any racist signage yesterday.  Good work, Harrison!

My nephew who lives in northwest Arkansas has magnetic Harris stickers on his car which he can pull off to keep his car from getting keyed while he is parked and out of the vehicle.  That's probably the way to go.

Nice day, nice drive, nice visit, tolerable lunch but with very good service.  I need to go again in mid-to-late October when all of the trees are in their autumn glory.

Who knows, Rosie might even want to go by then!

No comments: