Thursday, November 30, 2023

Willow's 12th Birthday Will Be Busy!

 
by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

My youngest granddaughter, Willow Files, turns twelve years old today.  She lives in Oregon with her older brothers, Sebastian and Judah, and Pa Rock regrets that he does not get to see them very often.  I was in Oregon for a visit this past summer and was really surprised by how much Willow had changed since I had last seen her the previous summer.  She was enrolled in a fine arts summer camp and studying acting - and she was blossoming into quite an active young lady.

I spoke to Willow yesterday evening and learned, among other things, that she now has her own phone.  When Willow's mother was twelve she was obliged to share a phone with everyone else in her family, and that telephone was attached to the house with a wire - and had to stay in the house.  If Molly was in town and needed to use a phone, she had to find a special phone hooked to a line on the street.  It was called a "pay phone" and cost a quarter to operate for a very short period of time.  Egads!  

Times were rough back in the old days, Willow! 

I spoke with my Oregon granddaughter last night and she told me that instead of having a regular birthday party today, she will be going to school as usual and then taking a couple of her friends to a movie after school.  They will be watching "Trolls 3."  (I remember going to see the movie "Sing" with Willow and her brothers several years ago.  She sat next to me and hogged all the popcorn! - I still have a framed photo of us at that movie sitting on my desk.)

Willow is in the sixth grade and enjoys school.  She said that one of her favorite classes in "STEM" Science where the students are currently designing and building artificial legs.  What an interesting project that would be!  (Sixth graders are obviously much smarter today than they were back in my day!)   She also enjoys PE where her class is learning the fundamentals of volleyball.  Willow reports that she makes all A's and B's in her school work.

Happy birthday, Willow - and have a rocking good time at "Trolls 3"!   Pa Rock misses you and wishes you the best birthday ever!

No comments: