Saturday, November 25, 2023

Headache

 
by Pa Rock
Chronic Complainer

For the past several days I have been dealing with a toothache, a rare circumstance for me because my old teeth are in relatively good order, but yesterday my dental situation seemed to transmogrify into a headache, and it just will not go away.  Last night when the tooth (or teeth) seemed to relent for awhile and allow a bit of sleep, the pounding headache would rush in and seize center stage.

It's probably all just stuff rooted in old age, but it's no damned fun regardless.

If this raging headache isn't tooth-related, it may be due to the fact that I have new glasses.  I probably made that situation worse yesterday when I self-diagnosed my vision issues as the possible culprit and abruptly changed back to my old pair of glasses.  Both pairs appear to work fine to my very old eyes - at least as far as I can see.  The issue might also be a product of the many hours that I spend staring into a computer screen - such as I am doing now on a Saturday morning before daylight.

Or it could have something to do with the recent drop in the temperature.  I dress warmly when I go outside - from the waist up, but instead of wearing long pants or blue jeans, all of which I have trouble holding up as I move around, I continue to wear drawstring shorts which fit snugly and stay up well.  Maybe my insufferable headache is a harbinger of pneumonia. 

Time will tell, I suppose - if I am around to hear it.

Over the past couple of days I have put a sizable dent in my supply of Ibuprofen, though I can't tell that it's made any difference in the pain level that is pounding through my skull.  My only other ready medical option is oxycodone.  I have four tablets left over from some long-forgotten malady that confronted me in October of 2015.   Do oxycodone tablets, like humans, have "use-by" dates?

Perhaps I should head out the the creek this afternoon and take one of those "polar plunges."  It probably wouldn't help with my headache, but it might fool the press into believing that I was still young enough to be President.  But, no.  If it's a choice between this headache or that one, I believe I will stick with the one I already have!

I don't think that I am at the end of my rope, though it has been uncoiling faster than usual as of late.  I still have my obituary to write and a few final bequests to get organized, and the magnum opus that I have been banging on for many months remains only about two-thirds complete.  (The second murderer has been so crafty that not even I know who he or she is at this point!)

So my bags aren't packed and I'm not ready to go.  That garbage scowl waiting to ferry me across the River Styx will have to keep waiting because this old fool still has crap to complete - if he could only shake this damned headache!

Until I free myself of this medical megillah, the lights at The Roost will be dimmed, the racket subdued, and I will attempt to ignore all of that which preys on my conscience.

Maybe you should, too.

Peace out!

No comments: