Thursday, October 12, 2023

Olive at Twelve

 
by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

Olive Noel Macy, one of my two favorite granddaughters, is a full dozen years old today.  To help Olive celebrate her birthday, I understand that her school has cancelled classes for today and tomorrow!
 
Olive was born in Kansas not too far from where she currently lives with her mother, father, and seven-year-old brother, Sully.   Her parents were living in Kansas City, Missouri, when she was born, and I was home on leave from my job on Okinawa.  I followed them to the hospital that morning and was among the first to welcome little Olive into the world.  It was a very special day and I remember it well!.
 
Last year Olive was in fifth grade and doing great in school both academically and socially.  She was experiencing so much success, in fact, that at the end of the school year she was promoted – not to sixth grade, but to seventh!   I haven’t been able to get up that way very much this year, but I understand that she has fit nicely into seventh grade and is doing quite well there also.  Olive likes school and we are all very proud of her!
 
The theatre is Olive’s passion, and for the past several years she has attended classes and been involved in stage plays at The Culture House in Olathe, Kansas.  Later this month she will perform the role of Spider in that group’s production of “James and the Giant Peach, Jr,” which is based on the novel by Roald Dahl.  Spider is a prominent character in the play, and I will be in the theatre to cheer her on during one of the performances.  Break a leg, Olive!
 
I understand that tonight (since there really is no school today or tomorrow) Olive and a few of her friends are headed to Worlds of Fun in Kansas City to experience some haunted houses.  I’m betting that will be a real scream-fest!
 
Happy birthday, Olive.  May your day be filled with happiness, love, smiles, laughter, and plenty of presents!  Eat some cake and ice cream for me!

 

No comments: