Saturday, May 13, 2023

Wet Tales of Woe and Mow(ing)


by Pa Rock
Victim of Rain

I missed two prime days of mowing this week when the weather forecast said rain, but it later failed to materialize.  Finally, on Wednesday, I decided to go ahead and mow and hope that forecast of rain for that day would be wrong as well.  After two hours the mower suffered a breakdown, leaving the yard looking as though the barber had died before the haircut was complete. Before I could get the mower going again, the skies opened and there was a deluge of rain. Then more rain on Thursday, heavy, and by Friday I had decided to wait until after our trip to Boone’s college graduation today and then maybe try mowing again on Sunday, weather permitting.
 
Yesterday, Friday, I heard a forecast saying there would be rain every day through next Thursday.  Yesterday I also caught my neighbor cruising across my still wet yard on his mower doing some trimming to make the place look better.  The neighbor came over and sat on the deck later and we talked yards.  He grew up in this house and is thirteen years younger than me.  He can see that the mowing finally has me whipped, and he truly wanted to be a good guy and help out.

While sitting on the deck my neighbor and I also discovered that we have been feeding the same cat and calling it our own for the past couple of years.  (Don't ever underestimate the intelligence of a cat!)
 
But him "trimming" my yard  was embarrassing, nonetheless.
 
I also went out this week and bought two more dazzling rose bushes, one bright golden yellow, and the other, a “Marmelade Skies,” is the prettiest orange rose that I have ever seen.  I will get them planted tomorrow whether it rains or not.
 
Road trip today to watch Boone pick up his diploma in an outdoor ceremony – more complaining tomorrow – and the mowing when it quits raining or I get a round tuit.
Ah, spring!


1 comment:

Geoff said...

Have you ever considered a "wild flower meadow". Once established they only need
mowing once a year.Beautiful and great for insects and pollinators.They are becoming popular on my side of the pond,and can be any size. I'm not suggesting you turn all
your grass into meadow just some-perhaps the least inaccessible- I'm guessing that your "yard" is pretty large.Unlike my balcony. Anyway just an idea.
Keep rocking. Geoff