Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Confederate Flag Tirade


(Editor's Note:  Today we are pleased to feature another guest-blog by my good friend, Ranger Bob.  Bob's topic revolves around the public display of the Confederate flag.  But before we get to Bob's thoughts, I feel that need to confess that some of the time that I was in college I had a large Confederate flag displayed on the wall of my room.  It had been given to me as a gift and was something that I put on the wall as a novelty.  At the time I was not tuned into the awful history and hatred that the flag actually represents, and I regret my ignorance in putting it on display.  Today I know better, an my thoughts on the matter are perfectly aligned with Bob's - though seldom as eloquent.)


Confederate Flag Tirade
by Bob Randall

I just read an article about a high school student in West Virginia who complained about displays of racism at her school. In contempt, some of her classmates then began flying Confederate flags from their pickup trucks. That is a quick distillation of the article. What was not said, but I here offer as a part of the offenders’ thought processes the follows: It’s not hate, it’s heritage. I call bullshit! 


Before I go on, I must admit that I was raised in a fashion where racist jokes were considered funny. I reject that now.

 

I worked at Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield for a few years and I have heard a lot of nonsense. One old lady asked me if the battle was a union victory or a confederate victory. I explained to her that although it wasn’t really a definitive victory because both sides took a licking, the confederates were left with the battlefield so it was their victory. Her only answer was, “good”, then she turned and walked away. No reflection on history or how far we have come, just “good”. I had another visitor demand to know why we weren’t flying the Confederate flag from the flagpole outside the visitor center. Nothing I said seemed to matter, not even the fact that the confederacy no longer existed and they certainly didn’t own the building. I had to remain polite. He seemed to settle on my comment that he was welcome to write to his legislators about it. I was glad to see him go. 

 

The flag usually displayed and thought of as the Confederate flag was never the Confederate national flag. It was actually the Confederate naval jack, the flag of the Army of Tennessee, a rectangle version of the ensign of the 2nd and 3rd Confederate national flags, and the Confederate battle flag which is really a square with white or gold trim on the outside. It is therefore "a" Confederate flag, not “the” Confederate flag.

 

I have lived down south (Virginia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, and I cringe when someone calls Missouri the Upper South) and don't have a particularly high regard for the antebellum and secession ideals that are touted as "Southern Heritage".  Admittedly, the flag itself was not antebellum but you'd be hard pressed to find a Southerner who can or will make that distinction unless they are losing an argument and find it to their advantage to separate the two. 

 

I have an even less tolerant view of slavery, whether it is set in the context of the history of this continent, ancient history in any continent, or current events. I believe slavery is an evil as much as murder, kidnapping, rape, etc. are evils. Slavery in the Bible doesn't make it right. 

 

Now, many want to argue that the "American Civil War" was not fought over slavery and would dismiss my argument at that. They are wrong, dead wrong. I offer the "South Carolina Declaration of Session" which highlights slavery as the issue and the "Cornerstone" speech of Confederate Vice President Alexander H. Stephens in which he declares slavery as the cornerstone of the new government. Even when he denied the accuracy of the report of that speech after the war, he admits that slavery was the cause of the secession. Look it all up. 

 

The flag in question represents inequality more than anything else. There is no concept associated with that flag that does not link back to inequality. The next thing that it represents is contempt for the US Constitution and the United States of America. In the context of 160 some years ago, secession had not been adjudicated and the permanency of the member states was questionable. Therefore, I cannot consider the old South as treasonous, only that they were wrong. However, in the light of history and what should be the clarity of time, I brand anyone who now tries to honor that flag as treasonous. They should know better! Even high school students in West Virginia.

 

I do not suggest that individuals cannot possess or display that flag. The right to do so is American.  But it is displayed in this day and age as "in your face" symbolism.  That is despicable.   People can display it if they want on their own private property but they must not demand that it be displayed with respect in any public forum. If they display it, they cannot expect praise or tolerance from me. The act of display, its unpatriotic and intolerant symbolism are contemptible. Do not whine about political correctness. In this case, if I am being politically correct it is the fact that someone else did something stupid and I'm calling them on it.  My indignation is just! There is no honorable "Southern heritage".

1 comment:

M. Swanson said...

...excellent piece!