Thursday, February 20, 2020

Warren 2020!

by Pa Rock
Democratic Voter

I've been all over the place with regard to which Democratic presidential candidate I was supporting in this primary season, but I think that now the dust has finally started to settle and I can see my way forward to the March 10th presidential primary in Missouri.

Over the past months I have supported - and sent small donations to - Beto O'Rourke, Pete Buttigieg, Cory Booker, Julian Castro, Kamala Harris, and Elizabeth Warren.  I didn't support Joe Biden - because of both his advanced age and the fact that he seemed to drift at times while speaking, and I didn't support Bernie because of his advanced age and the fact that having a heart attack during the campaign is a strong indicator that he has some serious health issues - or at the very least a questionable ticker.  (I was an ardent Bernie supporter four years ago.)    And I did not support Mike Bloomberg - also because of his advanced age and the fact that he was blatantly trying to buy the nomination.

I will admit that I did enjoy watching Bloomberg's attacks on Trump, and if I would have been lured into supporting a geriatric, it would have most likely been Bloomberg just for the fact that he did not shy away from going directly at Trump.  Defeating Donald John in 2020 is going to take a full-frontal, unrelenting, and vicious assault - and nice guys need not apply.

Of the candidates that I did support, only one - Cory Booker - provided me with any courtesy other than taking my money.  Booker, whom I have followed on Twitter since his days as Mayor of Newark, actually followed me back on the social media account.

And since serious presidential candidates never waste their time campaigning in outstate Missouri, I didn't expect to actually get to see any of them in person - but that changed last October when - while walking along the harbor in San Diego - a friend and I came upon an outdoor Elizabeth Warren rally.  We joined the crowd of 8,000 in cheering on the Massachusetts senator as she told her life story and laid out an ambitious plan for America.

When last night's debate started I was down to three possibilities:  voting for Kamala Harris in my state's primary where she will still be on the ballot, voting for Elizabeth Warren, or giving into my driving desire to see Trump completely humiliated in the next election and supporting Bloomberg.  But after catching bits and pieces of last night's Nevada debate on the radio, the field, for me at least, clarified.  I will be voting for Elizabeth Warren in the 2020 Missouri Democratic Presidential Primary.

Warren was on fire last night.  She pummeled Bloomberg so mercilessly that I was somewhat surprised not to hear this morning that he had exited the race.  The former New York City mayor now at least should have some sense of what it is like to play in the big leagues - and he can basically thank Elizabeth Warren for showing him that money can't hide who you are - or at least who you were.  Senator Warren was measured and steadfast as she brought up the former mayor's racist policies and chauvinistic attitude toward women - and she left him no means of escape when she suggested that he release - right there on national television -  all of his female employees from any non-disclosure agreements they had signed with his companies.  Bloomberg was forced to decline Warren's invitation to do so - right there on national television.

I support a strong government response to the dangers of climate change, strong environmental protections, clean energy alternatives, the rights of workers to organize and pursue fair living wages and safe working conditions, access to post-high school education for everyone, the fair and humane treatment of refugees and immigrants to our country, a foreign policy based on the needs of humans, and a single-payer healthcare system that covers all Americans - and so do Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.   Elizabeth Warren, who is a Democrat year-in and year-out and not just during election years, in my opinion, is the one who is most likely to defeat Donald Trump, and she is definitely the one with the energy, enthusiasm, and administrative skills to turn her bold ideas into reality.

Elizabeth Warren will get the job done - and she will once again make us proud to be Americans.

I am enthusiastic in my support of Elizabeth Warren for the presidency, and I will cast my vote for her in the Missouri Presidential Primary on March 10th.  I am also resolute in my desire to see Donald Trump leave the White House, and I will vote for the Democratic candidate in November regardless of who it is.

But for now - I'm with Warren!

No comments: