Monday, January 27, 2020

Monday's Poetry: "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

Alexa began the day yesterday by informing me that it was the 50th anniversary of the release of Simon and Garfunkel's last (and greatest) album, "Bridge Over Troubled Water."  She didn't actually say it was their "last" and "greatest" album - those are just things I happen to know through first-hand experience.

I was just a mere lad of twenty-one and a senior in college when a friend showed up at my apartment one day reverentially holding the a copy of the new album by Simon and Garfunkel.  He played it several times that day, and everyone who wandered through was captivated by the beautiful music.  The album was like nothing we had ever heard before.  We knew we were listening to something special - though none could have guessed that fifty years later the smart speakers in our homes would be reminding us of just how special that final joint recording of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel actually was.

Before The Beatles had smashed onto the music scene a few years earlier, albums usually contained one or two "hit" songs that were picked up and promoted by the radio stations - and eight to ten other songs that were basically just filler.  The hit songs were often recorded as singles (45 rpm's) and the other songs on the albums (78 rpm's) were quickly lost to the dust of history.

But The Beatles changed all of that.  When a Beatles' album was released, every song on the album quickly made it onto the radio station playlists and into the hearts and minds of every teen in America.  And "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was that type of album.  It featured eleven songs, everyone of which is still quickly recognized and warmly remembered by people of a certain age.

All of the songs on the album were written by Paul Simon, with two exceptions:  "El Condor Pasa (If I Could)" was written by Jorge Milchberg, Daniel Alomia Robles, and Paul Simon, and "Bye Bye Love" was written by Boudleaux Bryant and Felice Bryant.  The album includes, in order:

Bridge Over Troubled Water,  El Condor Papa (If I Could),  Cecilia,  Keep the Customer Satisfied, So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright,  The Boxer,  Baby Driver,  The Only Living Boy in New York,  Why Don't You Write Me,  Bye Bye Love,  and  Song for the Asking.

And here is the album's title song, one of the most easily recognized and remembered pieces of music ever written:


Bridge Over Troubled Water
by Paul Simon


When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all (all)
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you (ooo)
I'll take your part, oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind


2 comments:

Xobekim said...

Simon and Garfunkel's first album, Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M., was not a commercial success. I liked it nonetheless. That album was released in October, 1964. An acoustic version of the song, The Sound of Silence, appeared in Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M. The two decided to part company until that single The Sound of Silence took off. The pair reunited, included the title song in their next album, and made hay while the sun shined.

It was touch and go for Simon and Garfunkel and had they not included the acoustic version of the song in their debut album it likely would have been their final album.

Pa Rock said...

I was also a big fan of "Bookends."