Saturday, November 3, 2018

The $7.77 Club Update

by Pa Rock
Campaigner

In addition to the letters to voters for Vote Forward that I wrote and discussed in this post yesterday, I have done two other things to promote a good outcome in next Tuesday's election.

First, when visiting my doctor for a routine exam last week, I complained to his nurse regarding Fox News which is always playing in the clinic waiting room.  I told her that it was distracting and annoying, and that I felt it was impacting my blood pressure.  (And sure enough, my blood pressure was elevated that morning.)  I suggested the clinic might be better served with some good children's programming - and then she even offered up her own suggestion that music might be a nice addition. I haven't been back yet to see if my recommendation was followed, but I would be surprised if my redneck neighbors let them get away with replacing Fox and Friends with Sesame Street.

The other effort that I made was to send small donations of $7.77 to political candidates whose personal stories caught my attention.  That proved to be a hard project to abandon, and I eventually wound up donating to seventeen candidates.

For the record, the $7.77 Club includes three Democratic candidates for governor:

Laura Kelly of Kansas, Stacey Abrams of Georgia, and Andrew Gillum of Florida;
Three Democratic candidates for U.S. Senator:

Beto O'Rourke of Texas, Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, and Jacky Rosen of Nevada;
One incumbent Democratic Senator:

Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota; 

And ten Democratic congressional candidates:

Paul Davis (KS 02),  Sharice Davids.(KS 03),  Xochitl Torres Small (NM 02), Angie Craig (MN 02),  Cindy Axne (IA 03),  Gina Ortiz Jones (TX 23),  Jared Golden (ME 02),  Lucy McBath (GA 06),  Antonio Delgado (NY 19), and Ammar Campa-Najjar (CA 50).
That's the seventeen.  Together they represent a diversity that has been lacking for far too long on the American political scene.  The seventeen encompass eleven females and six males, four from the LGBTQ community, four blacks, one Native American, one Latina, one Palestinian/Mexican/American, one mother of a youth who was a murder victim of Florida's bloody stand-your-ground law - shot for playing his music too loudly, one professional Rapper, one kick boxer, and at least two veterans of the Bush Wars in the Middle East.

The amount of fresh perspective those seventeen would bring to government would be astounding.  I wish them all much success next Tuesday!

No comments: