Friday, November 30, 2018

Happy Birthday, Willow: Sweet and Seven!

by Pa Rock
Proud Grandpa

I am blessed to have two granddaughters, and as of today both of them are seven.  The youngest of the two, Willow, was born into a family with two older brothers on this date in 2011, at a time when I was living and working on Okinawa.  Consequently, she was nearly a year old by the time we finally met.

Willow is one of the happiest children that you could ever hope to encounter.  She enjoys school as well as playing with her older brothers, Sebastian and Judah, and she holds her own with them quite well.  I only get to see Willow and her brothers two or three times a year, but when those opportunities arise, I work at spending as much time with them as I can.

We have been to the movies as a family group a couple of times, and when we go to shows, Willow sits next to me and always manages to eat most of our popcorn!  It's fun though, and I really don't mind.  I can get more popcorn anytime, but time spent with grandchildren is all too rare.

One of my favorite memories of being with Willow happened nearly two years ago when her mother took us to an event at an art an art center in the city where they live.  Almost all of the attendees were little girls dressed up as Disney princesses - and their busy mothers (with one lone grandpa stumbling around!).  The girls were there to paint pictures of two real Disney princesses, Cinderella and Snow White, who were circulating among their adoring fans.  Willow went to the art party dressed as Belle from Beauty and the Beast.  I remember that it was a struggle for her to complete her painting because she kept drifting over to chat with the real princesses - and the visiting royalty were very friendly and patient with all of their young subjects!

Willow, you will always be a princess to me!  Much love and happy seventh birthday!  May you enjoy at least a hundred more!


2 comments:

molly. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
molly. said...

This really captures who she truly is! Thank you. :)