Monday, June 4, 2018

Monday's Poetry: "The Divine Right of Kings"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

Yesterday in this space I waxed unamused at Donald Trump's seeming belief that he is well above and beyond any laws constructed by mortal man.  Trump, if he believed in any God besides himself, would undoubtedly see his power and authority in much the same manner as the European monarchs of old saw theirs - that it was granted to him - and them - by God.  Trump rules, and they ruled, because God ordained it, and mortal man has no authority whatsoever over whom God has anointed to lead.

With that preamble in mind, I went in search of a poem to highlight the sentiment.  I didn't find one that suited my frame of mind, but I did unearth a little gem by Edgar Allan Poe entitled "The Divine Right of Kings."  It is not, as the name implies, some heady verse attacking or sustaining the concept of autocratic monarchs, but rather a love ballad - the poet's declaration of love for a Miss Ellen King.

Nevertheless, the closing line could have been murmured with affection by Donald Trump speaking of himself, or by Trump's doting love hound, Rudy Giuliani - to which the poet would have certainly replied, "Nevermore!"


The Divine Right of Kings
by Edgar Allan Poe


The only King by right divine
Is Ellen King, and were she mine
I'd strive for liberty no more,
But hug the glorious chains I wore.

Her bosom is an ivory throne
Where tyrant virtue reigns alone;
No subject ice dare interfere
To check the power that governs here.

O!  would she deign to rule my fate,
I'd worship Kings and kingly state,
And hold this maxim all life long
The King - my King, can do no wrong.

No comments: