Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Dick's Sporting Goods Steps Up

by Pa Rock
Citizen Journalist

I guess I need to get out more.  Never having had much interest in organized athletics, I am not a regular shopper at "sporting goods" stores, and I apparently have an antiquated view of the types of products that these outlets sell.  When I think of "sporting goods," things like footballs, golf clubs, and catcher's mitts spring to mind.  I don't own any guns, and, until this morning, I had no idea that some of the big "sporting goods" stores also peddle weaponry.  Yes, archery equipment might fit into my world view of what comprises sports equipment - but assault-style rifles and high-capacity magazines?  Surely there is nothing "sporting" about rapid-fire weapons and magazines that hold enough bullets to kill an entire classroom of students.!

There is a story out today that the retail chain, Dick's Sporting Goods, will no longer be selling assault-style weapons and big magazines.  And, in a move sure to stir the ire of the angry rednecks who control many state legislatures, Dick's will no longer sell any guns to people under the age of twenty-one, regardless of what state and local laws say.

If government continues to block the will of the people on guns, maybe more businesses will step up and assume the mantle of gun sanity.   Thank you, Dick's Sporting Goods, for leading the way!

No comments: