Saturday, November 25, 2017

The Big Winer!

by Pa Rock
Champeen Speller

A couple of years ago an Hispanic gentleman who worked at the Tyson Foods Poultry Processing Plant in my hometown of Noel, Missouri, stepped into the Rio Alce (Elk River) Gas Station and Package Store which is located on highway frontage adjacent to Tyson's.  While in the package store he purchased at least one Mega Millions ticket (back in the good old days when they were just a dollar each).  When he checked his numbers against the winning numbers, he was shocked to learn that he had won $25 thousand.  He was even more shocked when he and a friend rushed to Springfield to collect the winnings and he learned that he had either misread his numbers or had a poor understanding of decimals or commas - and had in fact won the grand prize of $25 MILLION!

This morning, on my way out of Noel, I stopped by the Rio Alce store to buy - what else - lottery tickets!  After making my purchase and getting back in the car, I happened to notice the flashing sign directly in from of my vehicle.  It announced that the store had a $25 million Mega Millions "winer."  I hadn't noticed the sign before during my very infrequent trips to that establishment, but I'm guessing that it has flashed the same message for a couple of years now.

Not being a trouble maker, I didn't rush back in the store and inform the workers on duty of their spelling error, and, in retrospect, it may have not been a mistake at all.  Perhaps it was a direct appeal to the local winos!

Everybody deserves a chance to be a big winer winner, even lovers of the grape!

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

That's a lot of Mad Dog 20/20.