Monday, November 27, 2017

Monday's Poetry: "Feeding the Birds"

by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

Though hard winters here in the Ozarks are pretty much a thing of the past, the season of we still call "winter" is rapidly approaching - and with it comes shorter days at cooler temperatures.   It is a time when nature's wildlife instinctively turns into its survival mode, finding food and building up body fat in an effort to make it until the warmth and green of spring breaks through the cold shell of winter.

I don't feed the birds and squirrels when the weather is warm because I believe they have a role to play in the natural order of things that involves being a check in the life cycle of bugs and other small creatures.  But food options decrease in winter and I try to step in and balance things out a little. 

I have a bird feeder hanging in the tree outside of the window where I write, and three squirrel feeders are also within the same view.   I began filling the bird feeder a couple of weeks ago, and yesterday I placed ears of corn in each of the squirrel feeders.  The smaller birds have already found their feeder and the larger birds and squirrels will not be far behind.  Watching the wildlife socializing and eating keeps me feeling warm and happy in the chilly season.

The geese and peacocks who live here at The Roost have also discovered the bird feeder and make several trips a day to feast on whatever has fallen from its hanging bounty.  It is an outdoor dining room that accommodates all visitors.

Today's selection, "Feeding the Birds" is a simple poem by a Brit who writes under the name "Teddybard."  Teddybard describes himself thusly:

"I am an old man English by birth. English by marriage. English by inclination.  The fact that no one understands you; does not mean you are a poet for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.   'Alcohol ' because no great story ever started with one eating salad or tomato."
So much for salads!


Feeding the Birds
by Teddybard

Of course my heart is open to the birds
whose song may lift my soul both night and day.
Cheering better with their song than words
could ever bring  happiness into play.
In feeding the birds I hope to attract
the small ones that twitter and tweet in tune.
I'm hoping the kindness in this small act
may cause my little feathered friends to croon.
My plan worked as well as any plan does
the garden is now full of pretty birds
but also attracts some far larger crows
and from our neighbours  some rather harsh words.
Into my feeders I fit a large scoop
and clean the car daily, it takes off the poop.

No comments: