Friday, August 28, 2009

Multi-Tasking Behind the Wheel

by Pa Rock
Social Commentator

It's a sign of the times that we hate to waste time. Today with the Internet, cellphones, and gadgets whose purposes and abilities are well beyond my ken, we no longer have to "waste" time while standing in line, roaming the grocery store aisles, or driving. Now we can multi-task - get several things done at once.

I'm guilty of eating while driving, something that is stupid and dangerous. I also usually call my Dad every evening as I am driving home. I have things to do once I get home, so I use that driving time to take care of my obligatory daily check on him. And when I take time to study the drivers around me I see similar behaviors. Some people even use their time behind the wheel to handle personal hygiene such as shaving, hair styling, and applying make-up. It is such a comfort to know that everyone else is behaving just as irresponsibly as I am!

I read a story in the New York Times that said that studies show that "talking on a cellphone while driving is as risky as driving with a .08 blood alcohol level - generally the standard for drunken driving." Most military bases outlawed talking on the phone while driving years ago, though it is still allowed on the air base where I work if the driver is using a "hands-free" set.

The article that I referenced in today's New York Times ("Not Driving Drunk, but Texting? Utah Law Sees Little Difference") focused on the latest communication fad - at least the latest one of which I am aware - texting. It stated that texting while driving is at least twice as dangerous as using the cellphone while driving.

The focus of the Times article was on Reggie Shaw, a 19-year-old in Utah, who drove into the path of two scientists who were heading to work, an accident that resulted in the death of the scientists. Reggie was texting his girlfriend at the time of the fatal crash. He was eventually sentenced to 30 days in jail, 200 hours of community service, and a requirement that he read Les Miserables to learn how to make a meaningful contribution to society.

Utah has recently passed stringent legislation regarding texting behind the wheel. Now if a person is caught texting while driving in Utah, they can be fined up to $750 dollars and receive up to three months in jail. If the behavior results in injury or death, the fine can rise to $10,000 and the prison time can be as much as 15 years. And many other states are also taking up this issue in their state legislatures.

If I hurt or kill myself due to my own stupid behavior, that's one thing. But if I injure or kill someone else, I have then become a menace to society and deserve whatever punishment the government sees fit to mete out. Starting now, my Dad is going to have to wait a few extra minutes each day to here from me. I have an obligation as a member of society to behave in a responsible manner. We all do.

3 comments:

Xobekim said...

Missouri's new no-texting law went into effect yesterday. It only applies to those 21 and younger, applies to sending or receiving, and is for now enfooceable only by the Highway Patrol and Sheriff's office.

I learned, while in the Valley of the Sun, years ago that using the cell phone and operating a motor vehicle were things I needed to do and different times. I must have exhausted a brigade of angels in my boneheaded stunt to call someone. Nada mas, nada mas.

Pa Rock said...

That age thing on the Missouri law bothers me. I almost think I would fare better driving toward a teen texter who at least knows how to do it - and do it rapidly - than facing off with an older texter who is confused by the medium and can't find the letter "r." I would be interested in hearing the legislature's logic in making the law only apply to the young - but there probably wasn't any logic involved. That's the Missouri State Legislature that I remember!

Xobekim said...

Logic? The Missouri General Assembly? You gotta be kidding!