Saturday, February 17, 2024

A Delicious Start to the Day

 
by Pa Rock
Breakfast Gourmand

Mike Box, an old friend from college in the 1960's, swung by Tim and Erin's and picked me up for breakfast at 7:00 this morning.   As I climbed into my friend's nearly new pickup truck, I was proud that I had almost 600 steps already on my pedometer.  Mike, whose  daily walking routine begins in the dark, was already at 8,200!

We ate at "The Big Biscuit," a locally-owned, chain restaurant franchise that specializes in breakfast and lunch, in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, about two or three miles from the home of the Macy's of Roeland Park.    The relatively new restaurant was easy to access and comfortably roomy with plenty of parking and seating  - and a fine assortment of selections on the menu.    The wait staff was some of the most cheerful and pleasant people that I have ever encountered in any eating establishment.

My friend, who had eaten there before,  settled on the "waffle platter," one of the very first items on the menu, and, it being my first time at a "Big Biscuit," I decided it would be prudent to follow his lead.  And it was a very wise choice!  The meal centered on a large Belgian waffle that was absolutely the most delicious waffle I have ever eaten.  It was accompanied by two eggs, breakfast potatoes, and a choice of bacon or sausage.  Mike washed his down with coffee on ice and I had iced tea.

Our breakfast was an exceptionally fine meal punctuated with lots of discussion about grandchildren and other things of mutual interest.

It was a delicious and most enjoyable way to start the day.  (I brought some of it home for Rosie, and her day is off to a great start as well!)

Now I am listening to "Bookends" by Simon and Garfunkel.  That is where my head is at as this beautiful new day begins to unfold.

Thanks for breakfast, Mike.  It's always great spending time with old friends!

No comments: