Monday, January 2, 2023

Monday's Poetry: "Graceful"

 
by Pa Rock
Poetry Appreciator

My parents each came from large families, a fact which meant that I grew up surrounded by many cousins.  Some of those cousins I saw on a regular basis, and others not so much - but basically I knew them all, all but one.  I had heard of Cousin Susanne over the years, but she grew up in California, and somehow our paths never crossed.  Then early last summer, out of the blue, a card arrived from a stranger in California, and I had a strong feeling as I was opening the envelope that I was on the verge of meeting the cousin I had never known.

Susanne (also known as Susanna) was writing to introduce herself and to gather some information about her family background.   I quickly emailed a response and, over the ensuing months, we have enjoyed a regular correspondence.  

One thing that makes my new cousin so easy to like, at least from my perspective, is that she is steeped in the arts.  She has studied writing and acting, and is even a poet.   Susanne currently has a minor role in a feature film which is still in production.  I will share more information on that at some future time when she gives me permission to do so.

But, in the mean time, Cousin Susanne has told me that I may share the following poem, "Graceful," which she recently penned.  Susanne said this poem is about one of the co-founders of a theatre ensemble which she and the subject of the poem both helped to form.   As you will note, it has a strong feel of the theatre, with more than a passing nod to the Bard of Avon.

Please enjoy this poem by Susanne, one of my favorite cousins!


Graceful
by S. Joslyn Johansen

When my two feet
must 'scape my shoes
and touch the wise
old boards

When songs rise up
within my throat
my voice shuttered down 
no more

I'll dance the dance
I'll braid my hair
and think of you
and think of you

The spear, the crown
and old Lear's gown
we each shall take 
our turn

And is it you
at curtains' edge?
We thought we did 
see you

The grin, the frown
the spear, the crown
Our friend gone much
too soon

1 comment:

JP said...

Such a lovely poem, Cousin Susanna, and thanks so much for sharing it, Cousin Rocky. — JP