Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Mother Guinea has Taken to her Nest

 
by Pa Rock
Farmer in Spring

We have had enough rain of late that the grass has been growing like crazy and always seems to be too wet for a good mowing.  When I got home from Kansas City on Saturday, the yard was in such a ragged state that one of the many local yard mowing concerns had left a business card in my mailbox!  Sunday began as sunny, and I got in about an hour-and-a-half on the mower before the rain forced me to quit, and yesterday I was finally able to get it finished.

The thorough mowing really helps to show off the new roses!

The guineas like to follow me around as I mow because the mower stirs up grasshoppers and all kinds of sweet, juicy bugs.  Since returning from Kansas City I had only seen two of the three guineas, and yesterday only two followed in the wake of the mower, so I was concerned that one had fallen victim to a predator. 

While occasionally observing those two as I mowed, I began to realize that they were both the males - who don't even like each other - and that it was the guinea hen who was missing.  This morning I could not find any of the three until I checked the barn.  There I found the two males on patrol inside of the barn, and after examining a couple of stalls, I located Mother Guinea patiently sitting on a nest.

Hatching eggs in a natural setting, even an enclosed one like my ramshackle old barn, is a risky business, but these guineas appear to be fairly smart for poultry, so maybe they will be successful and we will soon be entertained with the peeping demands of hungry baby birds here at Rock's Roost!

This old place needs some young blood and fresh energy!

2 comments:

Ranger Bob said...

Just this morning I was thinking that I needed a Guinea update. I miss Ralph. It's a shame that you can't post photos on your blog. We're going to need pictures of the chicks if the brood is successful.

Xobekim said...

Good idea Bob.

On the new post setting there is a tool bar at the top of the page. There, about in the middle, are the icons for link, picture, and video. At the appropriate place in the post, stop typing and click on the picture or video link to insert them into the blog. Then resume typing. The world needs pictures. Oh, make sure the photo or video is saved on your computer before trying to link. Otherwise everything gets stalled while you upload.