Thursday, April 9, 2020

An Update from New York City

by Pa Rock
Social Worker

One of my closest friends is a an American lady that I worked with on Okinawa where we both functioned as civilian social workers for the US military.  She was already on-station at Kadena Air Base when I arrived and stayed on for a couple of years after I left.  Eventually she returned to New York City, which is where her children and grandchildren live, and took a position with the city's bureaucratic entity that handles child protective services.

It's been quite awhile since I have heard from my friend, but we remain close inspite of our shortcomings with regard to regular communication.  Yesterday, after not having heard anything from or about her during the pandemic as it swept through New York City, I decided to call.  She was unable to answer, but within a hour my friend called back and we had a lengthy chat.

First of all my friend, who is sixty-two, is fine and so are her children and grandchildren.  She reports that in-laws connected to her family have lost members, but all of her immediate circle of family were working hard at staying safe.  (My friend is a woman of color, and all reports indicate that racial minorities are being hit the hardest.)

My friend has a desk job with child protective services, but with all of the illness and absenteeism, she has been involved in some on-the-ground case management in recent days.  She said that her position could be run from home, but that a new and temporary supervisor was trying to exert authority by keeping as many people in the office as possible.  It was just this current week that my friend was actually allowed to do most of her work from home.

She talked about the absence of people in the streets, and said that some of the businesses that closed due to the pandemic now have signs out saying they are looking for new tenants - so those businesses are apparently gone for good.

And then we did a lot of talking about getting by and planning for retirement.

And it was wonderful just hearing her voice and knowing that she was alright.

No comments: