Monday, July 16, 2018

Monday's Poetic Recipe: Emily Dickinson's Cocoanut Cake

by Pa Rock
Cake Appreciator

One of the major benefits of being retired, perhaps the major benefit of being retired, is having time to waste on projects that I could never have fit into my busy life back during the days when I was a slave to regular work schedules and paychecks.

Casey's is a chain of midwestern convenience stores that cater to travelers and local customers with gas and a variety of refreshments, including above-average pizza made locally in the stores, and a wide-ranging assortment of quick-stop paraphernalia.  My little community of West Plains, Missouri (population 12,000) is home to four Casey's.  This year is Casey's 50th anniversary.  I know that because the chain is hosting a big 50th anniversary sweepstakes.

And that has become my current waste-of-time retirement project.

Any purchase at Casey's during July and August generates a special receipt with a sweepstakes code number.  Those code numbers can then be entered onto a special internet form (it takes about two or three minutes per entry), and "many" lucky people will be notified that they have won instant prizes.  All entries are also eligible for the the $50,000 grand prize drawing later in the summer.

Over the past few weeks I have collected eighteen Casey's receipts (including for gas purchases) and carefully entered each and every one - along with a good dose of my personal information - into the internet.  Usually my entries are immediately tagged with a reply telling me that although the corporate office at Casey's  is sorry, I am not a winner of an instant prize.  But then, early this past week, my luck changed.  This time the message read that I had won . . . a cake doughnut!  The company proudly informed me that my prize would be mailed in approximately four weeks.

Note to the U.S. Postal Service:  Please hand stamp.

With that recent accomplishment in mind, I set out today to find a poem honoring pastry.  Unfortunately, I didn't come across anything that tickled my taste buds, but I did find a recipe ingredient list for "cocoanut" cake in the original script of one of America's premier poets - and master baker - Miss Emily Dickinson of Amherst, Massachusetts.  Dickinson, who despite being a recluse, often baked treats for neighbors and shut-ins.  Baking instructions were not included, but several contemporary bakers have their own baking suggestions available on the internet.

Miss Emily's ingredients for "cocoanut" cake were:

1 cup cocoanut
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoonful soda
1 teaspoonful cream of tartar
This makes one half the rule–
I love coconut - and strongly suspect that the concoction shared by Emily Dickinson would prove to be delicious.  Should anyone attempt it, succeed, and then decide to share a piece with this humble typist, please ask the post office to hand stamp the package!

1 comment:

Xobekim said...

Tori Avery, https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/emily-dickinsons-coconut-cake-2/, explains the recipe as a half loaf quick bread. She suggests substituting the soda and cream of tartar for baking powder.