Sunday, July 1, 2018

Kansas City in Summer

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

Rosie and I decided to brave the god-awful heat and drive to Kansas City yesterday - our first trip away from the farm in several months.  We left at 6:30 in the morning a drove through patches of fog for the first hour or so, but by the time we reached Springfield (approximately two hours from The Roost) the sun was out and bearing down.  Rosie slept comfortably most of the trip - on her heated car seat while in the cool caress of air-conditioning.

One of our stops on the way north was the Osceola Cheese Store in Osceola, Missouri, a business establishment featuring hundreds of cheeses, many of which are made by Mennonite families living in the area.  Tour buses like to dump their graying hordes of cheese-sampling senior citizens there while the drivers catch a smoke.  I didn't see any of the dreaded buses yesterday, but the place was crowded nonetheless.  It was too hot to transport cheese, but I did pick up a couple of toys for my grandkids while I was there.

Tim and I went to Costco for my quarterly shopping trip during the afternoon.  Saturday is a good day for food samples at Costco, and I tried not to miss any!  I sampled everything from lemonade to sausage and potato salad.  We both managed to gather food staples while we were there, and I found a couple of books that will make good Christmas presents for grandchildren at the close of the year.

Costco is a great place to shop, and they pay and treat their employees so much better than the evil Walton family's warehouse box store - Sam's Club.  Unfortunately, there are no Costcos in outstate Missouri or northern Arkansas, probably thanks to the political clout of the Waltons, so I have to make the 280-mile drive to Kansas City whenever I want to fill my larder.

It did rain while we were at Costco, and there has been a bit of rain this morning.  Hopefully some of it will drift south to The Roost!

Today will be spent enjoying life with the Kansas City Macys, and early tomorrow Rosie and I will hit the road for the long drive home - and by Tuesday it will be time to start mowing again!

No comments: