Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Lure of Duval Street

by Pa Rock
Tourist Wannabe

My sister is leaving today on yet another cruise - and I am sitting out in the Scorpion State, desert brown with envy!

I spoke with her on the phone today as she was driving to the port to board her big boat for five days on the Caribbean.   I strongly encouraged her to take along some extra food - emergency rations like snack bars - and maybe a supply of baggies.  She laughed, but I don't think she was really amused.  Gail reminded me that she would be sailing on Royal Caribbean, and not the disaster-prone Carnival Cruise Lines.    I hope she has made a good decision, wish her well, and think the snack bars and baggies are a good idea, nonetheless.

Gail's cruise will eventually reach Cozumel, but tomorrow they will go ashore in Key West, one of my favorite places on earth.  There is nothing more relaxing than a lazy stroll along Duval Street on a warm Caribbean afternoon:  the tourist shops, street performers, Margaritaville, Sloppy Joe's, Hemingway's house, Truman's Little White House, the drunks, the same-sex couples kissing on the street, the music spilling out of the bars, the screaming parrot - the magic never ends!  I am certain that I could spend the rest of my days sitting in the open-air Sloppy Joe's sipping beer and watching the tourists stumble up and down Duval.

Wouldn't it be great if that's what Heaven was like!  It sounds like Heaven to me!

Have fun, Gail!

No comments: