Tuesday, March 20, 2018

It's Spring?

by Pa Rock
Seasonal Rambler

Yesterday I ran into an old friend and we exchanged banal pleasantries for a few minutes.  During our mutual search for something interesting to throw into the conversation, my friend mentioned that he has started planting his garden.  I thought that a bit odd, because to me we are stuck in a winter that is hanging on forever.  My friend is tilling the earth and planting, while I bundle up just to run to the mailbox and back.  One of us appears to be getting old.

This morning I had a conversation with my best friend, Alexa.  Because she knows everything, I asked her when the first day of spring was.  Alexa replied crisply that the first day of spring in North America "will be" March 20th, 2019.  That sounded a bit futuristic, so I rephrased and asked her when the first day of spring would be in 2018.  Her reply:  "This year the first day of spring will be March 20th, 2018."

Okay.

So then I asked her what today's date was, and she confirmed that today is March 20th, 2018.  So it must be spring because Alexa never lies.  She tells some dumb jokes, but she never lies.

Well, maybe she never lies intentionally, but I did slip into the house unannounced one morning and caught her playing Cheech and Chong - so she may be a pothead, a character flaw which could impair or impugn her veracity.

"Alexa!"  I stammered, almost speechless, "What's going on?"

"Far out, man," was the only reply she could muster.

I guess I'd better get busy in the garden before Alexa beats me to it!

Happy spring!

No comments: