Saturday, October 14, 2017

Crossing the Wabash

by Pa Rock
Road Warrior

Saturday morning finds me in Indianapolis where, early this afternoon, I will be on hand for the world premier of "Tatterdemalion," my son Tim's second feature film.  It's a big day not only for our family, but also for all of the good people in and around West Plains, Missouri, who came together in the summer of 2015 to make this film a reality.  I understand that several of them are also in Indianapolis for the premier.  It is being held as a part of the annual Heartland Film Festival - and "Tatterdemalion" is definitely a film of and about the "heartland."

I drove to Indianapolis because getting to a major airport would have been quite a drive itself.  The trip lasted most of yesterday and was four-hundred-and-fifty miles from my house to the motel where I am staying.

The drive to Indianapolis was long, boring, and fairly uneventful.  I took the most direct route, the one going through St. Louis, but may take the more scenic southern route going home.  It will be a bit longer - mileage and time-wise - but has to be more visually stimulating than the boring interstate.

All the way to St. Louis I was focused on finding Exit 291-A which Mapquest had assured me would get me through the city without having to navigate the busy city side streets.   I watched the exit numbers slowly climb toward 291 as I proceeded to take Interstate 40 to the very center of town.  Finally I was almost there - I could see the Mississippi River and some bridges on my right, that damnable Arch right in front of me, and Busch Stadium to my left - and then - there is was - Exit 291-A - closed!  For the next twenty minutes I was driving around downtown St. Louis looking for a way across the Mississippi.  Regardless of where the roads led, I kept turning the wheel back toward the river - and finally I found the way across the river and into Illinois!  The detour through St. Louis was an harassment that I did not need!

The only other river of note that I crossed was the iconic Wabash just after entering Indiana.

Mapquest failed me again when I finally arrived in Indianapolis, choosing to give me a long and complicated tour of the city when, if I had been directed to the beltway around the city, I would have gotten here much quicker and with just a couple of turns.

So I am here, safely, and so are my grandchildren - and this afternoon we are going to the movies!



No comments: