Sunday, February 12, 2012

Flying Away - One More Time!

by Pa Rock
Globetrotter


Since arriving on Okinawa in July of 2010, I have done my fair share of traveling.  I have been to three of the small islands that are just off the Okinawan coast, made two trips to Korea (one for training and one for fun), visited Guam, and spent a week in Vietnam.  I have made it a point to take full advantage of being in the Far East.

This upcoming holiday weekend (President's Day) my friends Murphy and Valerie will be  joining me on a jaunt to Taiwan.  We are leaving Thursday after work and will return late Monday evening.  Taiwan is only an hour-and-a-half flight from Naha, Okinawa.

Taiwan is the large island where Chiang Kai-shek fled to after the communists were victorious in China.  Old Chiang managed to steal a substantial quantity of the Chinese national treasures as he fled, and most of those are on display in various Taiwanese museums.  He always dreamed of returning China and driving out the communists, but that obviously didn't happen.

Taiwan has also been known as Formosa and Nationalist China.  There appears to be much to see and do there, and much of what I see and do will be blogged right here!

It will be so nice to get away for a few days!

No comments: